Fighting the Effects of Time….Skin Aging
As we age, all the various layers of our skin are affected. They thin out causing a crêpe like appearance. Thinning of the skin along with a reduction of the key skin elements, elastin and collagen, results in wrinkles, particularly in mobile areas of the face such as the forehead, eyes and mouth. The skin sags due to less support and the gradual effects of gravity. More pigment and uneven pigment is produced, giving uneven pigmentation and age spots. Skin becomes drier and can feel rougher. Most of us would like to minimise aging as much as possible – to find out more, read here ›
We asked our expert skin Consultant Plastic Surgeons for some tips to protect skin from damage and here is their key advice:
- Sun Protection
Sun exposure increases aging of the skin. Regularly applying broad spectrum sun block (SPF 30+) when outdoors, wearing a hat and loose clothing and avoiding the more intense sun around midday helps protect skin against aging. Sun blocks should block both UVA and UVB rays.
- Not smoking
Smoking ages skin. Smokers tend to have more wrinkles and deeper wrinkles compared to non- smokers especially around the lips and mouth – so if you smoke, quit right away!
- Good skin care
Keeping your skin clean and well-hydrated helps care for it. Thorough cleansing with gentle products and using a moisturiser helps keep skin fresh, soft and hydrated.
So, once the damage has been done, what can help? Here are some treatments to offset skin aging:
- Medical grade skincare (prescription-only) – such as the Obagi range we stock at Purity Bridge.
- Tretinoin lotions help treat wrinkles, uneven pigmentation and rough skin.
- Hydroquinone can reduce pigmentation and lighten skin but is not permanent.
- These products along with other medical grade skincare and moisturisers should be used as part of a prescribed skin treatment regime.
- Facial peels
- Facial peels use dermatologically tested chemicals to remove surface layers of skin including damaged superficial layers. They can improve wrinkles, sun damage and uneven pigmentation. They are incredibly popular at Purity Bridge and always produce great feedback from our clients.
- Muscle-relaxing injections
- Botulinum toxin (e.g. Botox™) injections temporarily paralyse small facial muscles improving overlying wrinkles. A natural looking result can be achieved avoiding a “frozen” appearance. In fact, the most common feedback after careful Botox™ injections is usually to do with how well people look!
- Dermal fillers
- Hyaluronic acid fillers are injected in small amounts under facial wrinkles e.g. lips, cheeks and under the eyes to plump out the skin and last from 6 to 18 months. At Purity Bridge, our philosophy is “less is more” so we avoid any overdone look – a top-up can always be done if needed.
All of these treatments can be used in combination with each other and to complement each other – get in touch for an appointment to find out more.